Monday, October 1, 2012

On The Rampant Epidemic Of Optimism

It seems like, upon hitting their mid-to-late 20's, all of my friends on facebook decided to be absolutely,  unfailingly, and aggravatingly positive.

On one hand, that's great, and I'm very happy for all of you...On the other hand where the fuck is this all coming from?? Did I miss a mass email from God that said the world was now magic?
An entire generation embracing self-love and confidence. It's like the opposite of high school. And it disturbs me. People will post pictures of a frappuccino with the caption "Life is good!"... I mean I get that frappuccino's are delicious, but that doesn't work to nullify the inertia of a universe slanting always toward loss and disorder, am I right guys?? .........guys?

I'm just saying... All I see now on facebook is marathons and babies and crossfit and fashionable cupcakes and Disney's Cars Land and ALWAYS some iteration of "life of good", as if these tokens represented accurate cross-sections of the nature of life.

Maybe it's that pessimism and insecurity don't make for good facebook posts.
Maybe I feel that someone needs to balance the Force.
Maybe I'm just sad that everyone my age has seemed to figure out this happiness thing and I'm left behind. Or maybe I'm just sad that I don't currently have a frappuccino.

And I understand the counter-argument is "Owen, just have a better attitude and be more grateful for shit". But as it turns out, telling someone to be happy has never in history ever made anyone happy.

All I know is, I can't be the only one. Somewhere out there are my fellow closet cynics, wary of Murphy's Law, nodding knowingly as they read this, saying "Yeah, man. Life is kinda crappy sometimes."

This one's for you.





tl;dr Winter is coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment